Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The story of the cotton wool thread

From Gundidepp:

The story of the cotton wool thread.

There once was a small cotton wool thread, that was afraid that he, as he was, would not be useful for anything: "...for a rope I am much too weak", he said to himself; " …and for a pullover too short. To socialize with others, I have much too many inhibitions. For my own embroidery I also say no, in addition I am too pale and too colourless. Yes, if I would be from Lurex, I could garnish a stole or a dress. But what? It does not come to pass! What can I do already? No one needs me. No one likes me – and I me the least of all."

So the small cotton wool thread spoke, put on some sad music and felt entirely dejected. Then a clump of wax knocked on his door and said: "Do not let yourself hang just so, you cotton wool thread! I have an idea: let's both work this out together. For a large candle, you are in fact too short to be a wick and I do not have enough wax for that, but for a tea candle, it would be just right. It is just much better to light a small flame than to always complain about the darkness!"

Because the small cotton wool thread was entirely happy, he sat together with the clump wax and said: "Now my existence has meaning."

And who knows, perhaps there is in the world yet more short cotton wool threads and small wax clumps that could get together themselves in order to illuminate the world?

-----
Die Geschichte vom Baumwollfaden.

Es war einmal ein kleiner Baumwollfaden, der hatte Angst, dass er so, wie er war, zu nichts nützlich sei:
„...für ein Schiffstau bin ich viel zu schwach", sagte er sich;"…und für einen Pullover zu kurz. An andere anzuknüpfen, habe ich viel zu viele Hemmungen. Für eine Stickerei eigne ich mich auch nicht, dazu bin ich zu blass und zu farblos. Ja, wenn ich aus Lurex wäre, dann könnte ich eine Stola verzieren oder ein Kleid. Aber so ? Es reicht nicht!
Was kann ich schon? Niemand braucht mich.
Niemand mag mich – und ich mich am allerwenigsten."

So sprach der kleine Baumwollfaden, legte eine traurige Musik auf und fühlte sich ganz niedergeschlagen.
Da klopfte ein Klümpchen Wachs an seine Tür und sagte: „ Lass dich doch nicht so hängen, du Baumwollfaden! Ich hab' da eine Idee: wir beide tun uns zusammen.
Für eine große Kerze bist du als Docht zwar zu kurz und ich hab' dafür nicht genug Wachs, aber für ein Teelicht reicht es allemal. Es ist doch viel besser ein kleines Licht anzuzünden, als immer nur über die Dunkelheit zu jammern!"

Da war der kleine Baumwollfaden ganz glücklich, tat sich mit dem Klümpchen Wachs zusammen und sagte: „ Jetzt hat mein Dasein doch einen Sinn."

Und wer weiß, vielleicht gibt es in der Welt noch mehr kurze Baumwollfäden und kleine Wachsklümpchen, die sich zusammentun könnten, um der Welt zu leuchten ?

No comments: